The COMES organization embodies the following values:
- Responds to the needs of Oregon coastal communities, the seafood industry, and disciplinary professions.
- Embraces diverse relationships and openness to new ideas and working styles.
- Commits to fostering undergraduate and graduate student research and education.
- Supports teamwork and coordination among colleagues within COMES, the Hatfield Marine Science Center, the College of Agriculture, the Marine Studies Initiative, and other departments and academic units at OSU.
- Fosters partnerships and cooperation with national and international scientists, members of the fishing and seafood industries, government agencies, and non-governmental organizations.
- Engages in interdisciplinary research in solving complex problems in marine resource science and management.
- Integrates research, education, and outreach responsibilities.
- Maintains the COMES reputation as a source of reliable and objective research-based information.